How to set up an Easter egg hunt for the kids
3 Mar 2022
Keep the little ones entertained as they search for delectable Easter goodies
Is there a more magical springtime holiday than Easter? The little ones are sure to appreciate all the chocolate treats the Easter Bunny has left. From petite Chocolate Pen Pals to a decadent Extra Thick Patisserie Easter Egg, he’s set to make this Easter Sunday the best one yet. Why not add an extra element of fun by organising an Easter egg hunt for the kids to enjoy.
Don’t forget to hide a little something for yourself, too…
Setting up an Easter egg hunt
An Easter egg hunt is a fairly simple activity — hide some chocolate goodies for the kids to find and you’ll be good to go. However, here are some tips to help make sure it runs as smoothly as possible.
Indoors or outdoors?
The first thing to consider is where you want to host your Easter egg hunt. If the forecast is looking good, you could set up the trail in your garden. Or, if you don’t have an outside space at home, you could gather some other family friends and all head to your local park.
Of course, there’s inevitably the chance of springtime rain in the UK! But that’s okay, you can create a delightful Easter egg hunt inside, too — either in one room or throughout the house. Indoors, you can make it as easy or challenging as you like.
Planned route, or random forage?
The next aspect to consider is whether you’ll create clues that lead the kids to each Easter egg or dot the treats here and there for them to find.
If you want to plan a route, you can get creative and come up with hints to suit the age group of your children. You can keep it straightforward for the little ones, with clues such as “where we eat dinner” (the dining room table, for example). For older children, you can make the clues more complex and even write your own riddles. With this extra element, the whole family can enjoy a sense of achievement as well as some seasonal snacks.
Give them one clue to start, then hide one by each Easter egg. You might find it helpful to number each clue so everyone knows when they’ve all been found. Need some riddle inspiration? Country Living has a host of inside and outdoor clues to get you started.
What you’ll need
To host your Easter egg hunt, you’ll need to think about how many people will be joining in. The last thing you want is to run out of Easter eggs!
Once you know how many people to cater for, it’s time to gather:
- Baskets or bags for the kids to collect their chocolates in.
- Decorations – you may like to add some bunting, signposts or other decorations to help set the scene and brighten up your space.
- Your Easter egg hunt clues and riddles (if using them).
And, of course, you’ll need the core element of the event: delicious Easter treats! You can either select individually-packaged Easter eggs and hide them as they are or go for smaller nibbles hidden inside fillable plastic eggs. Fillable eggs are handy when planning an Easter egg hunt for several children, as you can assign them each a colour. Each child can then search for their own eggs, rather than one person nabbing all of them first!
Delicious Easter treats
So, what to include in your Easter egg hunt? Chocolate is traditional and — we might be biased — but in this case, tradition is a surefire winner! Having said that, there are plenty of quirky creations available that bring a new dimension to Easter eggs. Take, for instance, our Extra Thick You Crack Me Up Easter Egg. With a lavishly chunky shell, piled with adorable City Bunnies and Sunny Side Up truffles, it’s ideal for all the family.
Alternatively, our Chocolate Spread Easter Sandwich is a fun take on the humble sarnie. Mellow-but-rich 50% milk chocolate slices pair with decadent hazelnut for a moreish morsel. A truly original choice for an Easter egg hunt.
Our focus on ‘more cocoa, less sugar’ means our kids’ Easter eggs are packed with cacao and low on the sweet stuff. And our specially-designed Tiddly Pots, Big City Easter Bunnies, and Egg On My Face Chocolate Slabs are cute nibbles that are mellow enough for little taste buds. With milk, white, and dark chocolate options available, you’re sure to find something for your lambs.
And if you’re going for mini refreshments to pop into fillable eggs, we have bitesize treats galore. From 12 solid Milk Chocolate City Easter Bunnies and Elizapeck Speckled Eggs to kooky Eggs and Soldiers truffles, there are plenty of multipacks to split up and hide. Mix and match to your heart’s content. For a full variety, why not take a look at the Abundantly Easter Hamper? It has everything you need for a joyful Easter egg hunt in one stylish collection. As a bonus, you can reuse the wicker hamper for storage or summer afternoon picnics.
Creative Easter egg hunt variations
You can keep your Easter egg hunt classic or add a bit of a twist… Here are some ideas to get the creative juices flowing.
- Trivia Easter egg hunt – instead of clues, create a walkabout quiz. Your trivia questions could be Easter-themed or tailored to your family’s hobbies and interests.
- Raffle – rather than hiding your chocolates around the house or garden, you could place raffle tickets in each fillable egg. Pair each ticket number with a chocolate treat, and get the kids to search for tickets. Once the participants have collected all their tickets, they can choose to keep or swap theirs with one another — then it’s time for the raffle! Which treats will match their tickets?
- Forfeits – add a trick or treat element to your Easter Egg hunt, with some forfeits! Some eggs might contain a slip of paper with instructions such as ‘do five star jumps’ or ‘hop to the next egg’. Keep it light-hearted and make sure there are plenty of tasty rewards to balance out the tasks!
- Glow in the dark Easter egg hunt – pick up some glow in the dark stickers and add them to your Easter eggs. Hide the eggs, making sure that the glow in the dark sticker is visible. Switch off the lights and let the kids find their glowing goodies. Just ensure you move any obstacles out of the way to avoid injuries.
Delicious Easter eggs for all the family
An Easter egg hunt is a great activity for all the family. And why should the kids have all the fun? Alongside subtly-sweet petite nibbles and supersize Easter eggs for children, we have a stunning range of extravagant eggs for grown-ups. After all, you deserve some Easter joy, too!
Make this year’s celebration extra special with the Extra Thick Champagne Easter Egg. Its decadently thick shell is made from 40% milk chocolate, half strawberry-white and milk for ultimate indulgence. And if that wasn’t enough, the inside is brimming with Champagne and Pink Champagne Truffles. Presented in an elegant reusable tin, it makes a fabulous gift — for you, or a loved one.
Explore our full Easter egg collection to find your perfect April treats.