IMPOSSIBLE!!! Your shopping bag is empty, are you feeling okay?!
What have we done so far?
- All the electricity we buy is from renewable sources. Over 77% comes from wind turbines and solar power. The rest comes from a mix of waste, biomass and hydroelectricity. Generating energy from burned waste that can’t be recycled is much cleaner than gas or diesel and cuts down the amount of rubbish that would otherwise go into landfill.
- We’ve saved 50 tonnes of CO2 per year at our chocolate factory by investing in upgraded air compressors to operate our manufacturing equipment and factory coolers that are state-of-the-art.
- Around 90% of our shops have low-energy LED lighting and low-energy air-conditioning systems and these are now standard for all our new shop openings. We’ve also installed ambient ‘air curtains’ that stop heat escaping when the shop doors are open, saving electricity.
- We’ve cut the waste leaving our factory site in waste water by 90% by installing a state-of-the-art diffused air flotation waste water processing unit.
- We’re also looking at CHP – Combined Heat and Power. We use a lot of heat at our factory for melting chocolate and other things. So we can save energy by generating electricity in an environmentally efficient way that also generates ‘free’ heat.
- We’re exploring installing solar panels on our factory roof to start generating our own electricity sometime in the next 2–5 years.
- We’re appointing ‘Energy Saving Champions’ who take care of energy efficiency, recycling and measures to reduce waste across all our sites, from shops and cafés to our factory.
- We’re looking at new technological solutions to improve energy efficiency at our manufacturing and distribution sites, including LED lighting throughout.