Add a Little Extra?
100% ethical cocoa – from the roots to the wrapper. Doing the right thing, not just saying it.
At Hotel Chocolat, we want cocoa farmers to feel more connected to chocolate lovers. We believe growing cocoa for chocolate deserves as much respect as growing grapes for wine. That’s why we ethically source all our cocoa from Ghana, Saint Lucia and around the world.
What does that mean? First, we’re giving a fairer share of the financial rewards of chocolate back to the farmers who grow cocoa, including guaranteeing to buy their harvests. But we don’t just send them a cheque. We’ve got stuck in and put boots on the ground, doing practical things to help change farmers’ lives for the better. We call it ‘Engaged Ethics’, a programme we’ve been growing since 2002.
We don’t claim to have all the answers, but we’re listening to cocoa farmers and finding ways to make a difference. Here’s what we’re doing.
Saint Lucia - Island Growers
- Since 2006: We’ve guaranteed to buy farmers’ cocoa harvests at a rate higher than the market rate and we take all the cocoa they can supply.
- We have stabilised and premiumised the market, making cocoa farming a viable and respectable way to earn a living on the island.
- This has encouraged Saint Lucians to return to cocoa farming. We now have over 220 cocoa farmers in our Island Growers Programme.
Saint Lucia - Rabot Estate
- Our own organic-certified cacao farm on Saint Lucia.
- We’ve been ‘boots on the ground’ since 2006, proving that we can return Saint Lucian cocoa to its rightful place in the world’s fine cocoa market.
- We’ve restored the rare and heritage Trinitario cocoa, and have our own team demonstrating to local farmers what is possible.
- Through our visitors’ centre we have connected chocolate lovers with cocoa farmers, building links, improving understanding and sharing the value.
- The Story of Rabot
Nkawkaw Cocoa District, Ghana
- Engaged ‘boots on the ground’ since 2002.
- Our objective: empower farmers to raise themselves out of poverty.
- Cocoa farmers want what we all want: fair pay for fair work, and to feed, clothe and educate their families.
- Long-term partnerships are delivering for farmers:
- Better prices
- Stable trading
- Improved productivity – helping farmers to grow more, with greater efficiency.
- Community projects focussing on health, education, child labour and women’s empowerment.
- Find out more about our Engaged Ethics in Ghana
Rest Of The World
- We’re engaged in several other countries around the world, including Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Honduras and Nicaragua.
- A blend of direct-sourced, certified and traded cocoa working with people who share our values.
- Find out more about our Engaged Ethics in Colombia, Ecuador and Honduras.