Health and Safety Manager
Health and Safety Manager
Reports to: Head of Operations
Hours: 40 hours per week
Direct Reports: None
Location: Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire (with travel to other sites as needed)
Objective of role
- Develop and continually improve the Health & Safety plan, communicating changes and monitoring/evaluating ongoing performance in an aim to embed a culture of awareness throughout all HC sites.
- Become the go-to person for specialist advice, coaching and practical support throughout the business.
- Work pro-actively with managers/team to establish and maintain s system that promotes a culture of safe and practical working practices across the organisation.
- Advise Heads of Department and Board of the implications of emerging H&S legislation.
- Ensure all current statutory inspections are carried out in line with HSE ACOP’s or best practice. To engage all functions in a proactive approach to Health & Safety utilising the near miss philosophy.
- To manage the Risk Assessment documentation and annual review/as and when change takes place.
- To manage and control all Accident & Near Miss investigations in line with agreed timescales (48hrs). Use Cluster Managers/Cell Manager/Line environment development plans to create continuous improvement on a site and zone basis.
- To manage and ensure Contractor compliance with all Hygiene and Health & Safety policies.
- To ensure all contractors are regularly updated with changes to policy.
- Co-ordinate the issuing of notifications where required to HSE.
- Oversee the preparation and ongoing maintenance/control of CDM H&S files and documentation.
- To be seen as an integral “business minded” peer within the management structure and not just a H&S specialist in isolation.
- Operating Standards/Policies and Records
- Maintains all appropriate policies, procedures and audits site related documentation.
- Assists with planning and implementing plant improvements and expansions.
- Ensure that all statutory regulations are clearly communicated, trained and visible with particular focus on Operational Head Office sites.
- Hold site and Channel reviews on weekly/period basis as appropriate.
- Create and communicate audit schedules that remain visible with performance reviews and training needs analysis to follow up any shortfalls/issues found.
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum NEBOSH general Certificate qualified.
- Extension demonstrable experience of developing and driving culture of safety mindedness.
- Detailed knowledge of current H&S legislation and its application in simple, practical terms.
- Experience at Management level.
- Knowledge/experience of CDM, fire and asbestos regulations
- Experience of communicating effectively verbally and in writing to both Management and Team members
- A professional approach generating credibility and confidence in others
- Driven - Confident, enthusiastic and energetic
- Ability to work in partnership cross functionally